Thursday 6 June 2013

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
Title: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins

Review:
At first, I thought the book would be terrible. I'm generally one of those people who go off of things that go mainstream. I thought the movie was terrible, but after careful consideration, I am thinking of watching it again to make a good judge on it.

The Hunger Games, well what can I say. I understand now how people have fallen in love with 'the boy with the bread' and the girl who was on fire.' I understand all the hype, the numerous fan-fictions, the numerous 'fan girls'  and the numerous fan pages on Facebook.

After picking up the book for the first time and reading a couple of pages, I had to (had to) pick it up again and again. I think I actually started experiencing withdraw symptoms and the horrible, oppressing feeling of deprivation after someone you love dies.

I'd definitely say that it was a book for younger teenage girls and boys. I've read enough adult books already in the sixteen years I have been alive to understand what adults would find interesting, including writing styles, depth of the story and characters, and detail. In my terms, the book was second degree. Not first degree where everything was poorly written and illiterate, where the idea had already been used so many times and it doesn't really keep you wanting more. But, it wasn't third degree either, where the book became a part of you, the depth went deeper than 'The sun was yellow.', the characters became actual people in your life, not reading lead to severe withdraw symptoms and it'd take days for you to get back out of that 'hole'.
However, The Hunger Games was literally scraping third degree with its teeth, just able to taste it but not quite a full mouth full. Oh, and God, I wish how it was. >God damn my high standards.<

I have a tendency to get emotionally attached to characters. During the middle/ three quarters of the book, my throat had been blocked by an abnormal abscess that frequently appears when I am upset. I refused to let any tears spill, though, probably making it all the worse.

I walked with the characters, talked with the characters, cried with the characters, laughed with the characters and lived with the characters through the short period it took me to read this book.

I read it so fast, but not as fast as some as I tried to savour this world that is so different from our own but so, very familiar that it can take your breath away.

The ideology of the book was fantastic. How petty humans fight over nothing but becoming victorious  (I could go on, but I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't read it yet and those who better had start reading it.) But, maybe, a little more depth could have been added here or there to give it more of an impact on the savage idea of the Games.

If you are planning on reading this book, I suggest you do. Hurry up and go find a copy. It was excellent, smart, beautiful and heavyhearted all under one roof.

>WARNING! If you are a suffer from the addiction of reading, please be advised that this book can cause serious side effects!<

Damn my ever dwindling supply of money, I have none, therefore I shall have to wait to be able to buy the next book! But I wont ever stop thinking about it.

Rating:
2nd Degree
4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment